This museum was the result of an unusual design and tender competition for which the budget was set and the designs assessed by what could be offered for the money. This afforded scope to create a large vaulted gallery that houses a replica of the HMAS Pandora, the ship sent by the British Admiralty in 1790 to capture the Bounty mutineers. The gallery sits above a ground level of research laboratories which the public can view into. Various metaphors have described the form, but the main concept was that of a shipwreck, the end forms seeming to be in collision. They contain children’s education spaces. The museum is experienced by alternating ramps connecting visitors into museum rooms while providing varied vistas into and over the Pandora replica.
Cox Architecture t/a Cox Rayner Architects in association with Barrett & Associates
AIA Queensland FDG Stanley Public Buildings Architecture Award 2000
Christopher Frederick Jones